Sunday, November 9, 2008

Gone Huntin'

Today I went hunting- house hunting that is. I'm slowly trying to get a feel for what's out there in the hopes of eventually committing to a place.

In every home I go into, I immedietly want to do two things.

1) Critisize in my mind why it wouldn't be fitting, and how it wouldn't work for me

2) Totally fall in love with the place and picture my furniture in all the rooms

It seems a little contradictory, and it kind of throws me off that every place I see I love and I hate at the same time. I think there's the "rash Rachel" who likes to make split second decisions without thinking, who can committ passionately to something in a matter of seconds. This is the Rachel that has up to this point been my biggest influence. Then there's the new Rachel I'm trying to cultivate. Let's call her "responsible Rachel". She thinks things through, and looks at flooring and wonders what resale values may be. The only problem is that right now the two Rachels don't know how to co-exist, and this causes such conundrums as the one listed above.

I definitely think there is value to both aspects of the decision making process. On the one hand, you need to be careful, and realize what you're getting into, but on the other hand, deliberating forever could mean you miss out on a great opportunity, and it can make you go crazy because nothing will ever be good enough. So although I am trying to be more mature and responsible, I hope I never lose the other aspect that, although has often gotten me into trouble, keeps things exciting and balances out all this grown-up adult decision making.

That's all I have to say for now, because after a day of seeing the sign over and over again, the rest of my brain is preoccupied by the jingle:
"Com free, com free, com free dot coooooommmmm" So catchy!

No comments: